Is Paper Pumpkin Worth It?
Is Paper Pumpkin Worth It?
Have you ever asked that question: Is Paper Pumpkin worth it? I know I have! The monthly kit seems to be gaining popularity all the time but I have often questioned whether the positives outweigh the negatives. This is because, like many of you, I have lots of choices with my hobby dollars and where I choose to spend them. So, I wanted to share my thoughts with you and provide a full breakdown of Paper Pumpkin.
What is Paper Pumpkin?
If you don’t already know, Paper Pumpkin is a monthly crafting subscription kit by Stampin’ Up!. Each kit includes everything you need to make predesigned projects like cards, gift packaging, home décor, and more. What you get inside is actually a surprise each month, but if you want to snoop then a visual sneak peek is available before the kit ships.
Who are the kits geared towards?
Stampin’ Up!’s Paper Pumpkin kits are really geared towards newer crafters, who may not be interested in building a large collection of stamping supplies. Alternatively, the kits are also a great gift for that creative family member or friend who enjoys working on paper projects. These kits have easy instructions and illustrations to follow.
What materials are actually included in the monthly kit?
Every kit includes an exclusive stamp set, ink spot, and embellishments to create a predesigned project. Everything is precut and ready to go. At least six times a year, you receive an “all card kit” with eight or more cards. Sometimes the kit includes cards plus gift bags, banners, bags, or boxes. Other times, it iss home décor, or just treat packaging.
Pros and Cons of major features
Now that we know what exactly Paper Pumpkin is, I want to dive into the major features and discuss their Pros and Cons.
KITS AND CONTENTS
One of the main selling points of Paper Pumpkin is that you receive a kit each month full of paper crafting materials. It is supposed to make it easy to be creative with paper.
- Everything required for the predesigned projects are included in the kit.
- The “don’t know what is coming in the next kit” concept is great for those people who enjoy surprises.
- Preassembled kits give Demonstrators the option of using Paper Pumpkin for classes without extra preparation.
- With just basic tools like scissors, beginners can get started easily with the monthly kit.
- If you like a challenge or appreciate new perspectives, a surprise assortment of material every month can push you out of your comfort zone and expose you to new crafting materials.
- Build up a collection of leftover materials each month which can be used for future projects, or even gifted and traded.
- Stampin’ Up! releases a monthly unboxing video to share the contents of that month’s kit.
- The surprise concept may make some crafters uneasy. However, the sneak peek feature discussed later in the article can put you at ease.
- Using the kit could get boring for the extremely experienced or creative paper crafter.
- Kit projects are not exclusively cards, so if you are only a card maker then it might not be the best fit.
Each monthly kit is packed in a cardboard box that is uniform in size. The dimensions are 9.75” x 6.25” x 1.75”.
- The kit is packaged in the same size boxed every month.
- The kit can easily fit in your luggage or tote bag.
- Sturdy cardboard box means no need to pack it inside something else. It can hold up on its own.
- Relatively light weight, even with contents inside.
- I can’t really think of any! What is the disadvantage of having consistency, portability, and stability?
The price for Paper Pumpkin depends on which subscription option you choose. You can test it out by purchasing a limited prepaid subscription from the Stampin' Up! website, or by subscribing month-to-month through the Paper Pumpkin website. If you subscribe to the month-to-month option then the cost is $22.00, including shipping.
- Compared to similar kits online, Paper Pumpkin is very competitive. The month-to-month option is consistent at $22.00 and there are cost savings for the prepaid subscription if you purchase the 6-month or 12-month option.
- Even though the price holds a lot of value for the items in each kit, they may not be what you might purchase individually. Then again, that is the tradeoff to be expected for a subscription service like Paper Pumpkin.
As mentioned above, there are two ways to subscribe to Paper Pumpkin. First, there is a monthly, or pay as you go, subscription. Secondly, they offer prepaid subscriptions which allow you to pay ahead or give as a gift.
- Having multiple subscription options to fit what YOU want or can currently afford.
- Price discount if you subscribe for a longer period of time (prepaids only).
- Opting out of the current month’s kit is possible.
- You can give Paper Pumpkin subscriptions as affordable gifts.
- There is a hard deadline to subscribe for each given month (the 10th).
- Supplies may be limited towards the end of the subscription period.
PAPER PUMPKIN COMMUNITY
There are so many other people who are subscribed to Paper Pumpkin. As a result, there is a whole sub-community of Paper Pumpkin fans who create content just based off the monthly kit. Naturally, some of the content is better than others.
- Alternate inspiration for monthly kits is easy to find online (Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, etc.)
- It can be fun knowing that you’re working on the same projects as other people.
- If you have questions or original ideas, you can always share them in the community.
- Not all Paper Pumpkin community spaces are of the same quality.
- If you want to go further than the projects/directions set up in your monthly box, you will need to take extra time online. However, a lot of stampers do this anyway with their regular paper crafting.
RETURN AND REPLACEMENT POLICY
The Stampin' Up! website states the return policy:
“If you’re not happy with your Paper Pumpkin subscription or kit, please call us at 1-800-STAMPUP; we’ll help you make it right. If your kit has any damaged or missing elements, we will happily assist you. Upon contacting us, replacement parts and pieces for any kit will be sent within 90 days of the kit’s original shipping date at no cost to you. After 90 days have passed, we can no longer guarantee that replacement parts and pieces will be available and may need to work toward an alternate solution.”
- A reasonable return policy exists.
- You can contact Stampin’ Up! directly per telephone.
- Stampin’ Up! has a great customer service orientated attitude.
- Damaged goods would halt your desire to get going on your monthly kit.
- If you wait too long, the replacement parts you need might not be available.
So, is Paper Pumpkin worth it?
Based on the above analysis I would definitely say: YES! Paper Pumpkin is worth it! Multiple subscription plans, competitive pricing, all supplies provided, dedicated online sites for inspiration, and easy to follow directions make Paper Pumpkin a great deal for crafters of all levels. If getting great bang for your buck isn’t enough, then don’t forget about the JOY people receive when you give them something handmade!
What are you waiting for!? Start receiving your monthly dose of creativity from Paper Pumpkin!
Current Host Code
Only use the code for orders under $150.00
Annual Catalog 2020/21
The latest annual catalogue is loaded with beautiful products! If you haven't already, come and check it out!Explore
ArticlesIs Paper Pumpkin Worth It?
Challenge Yourself to Be a Better Stamper
5 Reasons Why I Love Designer Series Paper
5 Tips Every Stamper Should Know
Visit the Inspiration Gallery to see examples of finished cards. You are bound to find something that inspires you!Get Inspired!
Quick Color Shop
The Quick Color Shop is color coordinated shopping like you have never seen before!Visit the Quick Color Shop
Stampin' Up! always has great deals on their Clearance Rack! Don't forget to check it out!Shop Clearance
Join My Team
One of the greatest parts about stamping is stamping with others. Join my team and see where Stampin' Up! can take you.Find Out More
Join my e-mail list to find out when I add new features, articles, and other content.Click here to Begin
"Stamping and showing others creative ideas has been a passion of mine over the last 15 years. I love to see people experience creative growth as they have fun with others." - Pam StrobelFind Out More
Let's Stay Connected
Value Stamp Sets
Explore stamps sets which are $20 or under. Great product for great prices!Explore Stamp Sets